About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Summer Sandals

I have written before about how much I detest shoe shopping. I tend to wear the same shoes daily. I don't have cause to change my shoes frequently because sneakers tend to match any "Mommy uniform" I am wearing. This being understood, I do change my shoes for the season. Summer is approaching which means it is time to bring out the sandals.

I used to be particular when shopping for sandals. I required a strap around the back of the foot to keep the shoe on the prosthetic. Instantly, my choices were minimized to include a variety of "granny sandals."

Last year I had an epiphany: VELCRO!

I bought industrial strength Velcro from Target. I would recommend paying the dollar extra for industrial strength in this situation. You want to make sure that you have a strong hold between your prosthetic and the shoe. It is not only embarrassing, but also dangerous to walk out of your shoe.

After cleaning the bottom of the foot shell, apply the soft side of the Velcro. I keep the Velcro on my foot shell permanently. It doesn't interfere with socks and other shoes, so I have found no reason to remove it.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't offer one word of caution. Walking directly on the Velcro i.e. barefoot can increase the possibility of slipping. When walking without a shoe on a prosthetic foot, walk with caution. I have tile floors in my kitchen which, when clean, tend to be quite slick against the Velcro. To be completely honest, I don't clean the floors that often, so slipping is rarely an issue.

I put the hook side of the Velcro (the rough side) on the inside of the sandal I want to wear. I use two pieces, one up towards the toe and one close to heal. Place the shoe onto the foot shell and press. After you adjust your heel height, you're ready to go!

You may hear some "ripping" sounds with the first few steps. This is the Velcro adjusting and gaining a secure attachment. It can be annoying, but it goes away after you walk for a few minutes. So go ahead, paint those toenails and wear cute sandals. Just don't forget the Velcro!

No comments:

Post a Comment