About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dirty Clothes Blues

Scott has returned to work, which means that I have been able to catch up on some much overdue housework. As I was cleaning, I started thinking about the small changes in my life since I've become an amputee. Without really thinking about it, my amputation has influenced most of the decisions I've made since my surgery. I suppose that it has become natural for me to consider my limb loss when I am making "normal" household decisions.

For example, I used to have a problem carrying the laundry basket downstairs to the washer and dryer. Holding a heavy basket in front of me with two hands, and then maneuvering down two flights of steps, made me nervous. I was worried about falling. My fears were not unfounded, I lost my balance several times trying to carry the laundry.

Initially Scott carried the laundry to and from the laundry area for me. I am a proponent of teamwork, but I do not like being dependent. I quickly realized that relying upon Scott to carry the laundry was going to lead to frustration. After all, I didn't want to have to wait for him to return from work just so that I could throw a load of laundry in the washer.

Laundry baskets tend to be disposable in our house. Robby loves sitting in the basket and sliding down the stairs. He also loves to be pushed and carried through the house sitting in the basket. Obviously the flimsy plastic is not meant to withstand the "torment of the toddler."

When we were shopping for yet another laundry basket, I discovered an easy solution to my laundry carrying quandary. Instead of using a traditional basket, we switched to the pop-up hamper with the zip cover. Now, when I want to do the laundry, I close the lid to the fabric hamper and toss it down the stairs. I no longer have to maneuver down the stairs carrying an unwieldy basket, and the laundry doesn't scatter all over the floor.

In order to carry the laundry hamper up the stairs, I simply zip the cover and drag it behind me. Since it is a soft fabric, I don't worry about the floors being scuffed or damaged. Problem easily solved, and my laundry independence was regained! Alas, if I could only find an easier way to fold and put the clothes away...

No comments:

Post a Comment