About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Nana's Scooter

Nana bought Robby a scooter. I made a comment that he likes watching the kids on their scooters at the "big kid park" and she immediately ran out to ToysRUs and bought one for him. I must remember to send her a thank you note.

Robby is a visual learner. I suppose this is due more to his age than to a preferred learning style. In any case, whenever he gets a new toy, either Scott or I have to play with it first to show him what to do. This is especially the case for any toys involving coordination of large muscle groups.

Scott has been at work all week leaving the bulk of the scooter training to me. I never used a scooter when I was able-bodied, so trying to teach my little guy how to use one properly has been difficult. Nevertheless, I mustered up a happy can-do attitude and gave it a try.

As I was standing in front of the scooter wearing my helmet (safety first), I realized that I was in a quandary. As an amputee, which foot should I put flat on the scooter? I tried using the scooter with my feet in various positions until I settled on my prosthetic remaining on the scooter why I pushed with my sound side.

The stickers all over the scooter all refer to the maximum weight limit. This scooter is not made for adults or obese children. Robby was well under the weight restrictions, but I was way over them. When I put my full weight on the scooter, the plastic began to bow. I knew I was going to have to keep most of my weight off the plastic toy. After all, imagine if Mommy broke the scooter before Robby even had a chance to ride it!

Using a scooter without any prior experience that is too small and too short is difficult. Add the extra "complication" of being an amputee increased the difficulty exponentially. Needless to say, I was anything but graceful. I managed to model how to use the toy. As a bonus to the demonstration, I taught Robby how to gracefully fall off the scooter, several times.

Robby was patient through my lesson. He was antsy to use his scooter and was excited when I handed it over. Despite my cajoling and encouragement, he refused to use the scooter correctly as he pushed it up the driveway hill.

Once at the top, he turned the scooter around, promptly sat on the foot ledge and lifted his feet off the ground. Wheeeee.... He sat on the scooter and rode all the way down the hill. Apparently he didn't need my well-intended demonstration!

At the bottom of the driveway, Robby indicated that he wanted to go again. I told him to take the scooter to the top of the hill. He remained seated. He then asked me to push him up the hill so "Robby can go wheeeeee."

I have made countless trips pushing 40 bounds of full-energy boy up the long, steep driveway. He loves his scooter and wants to play with it for hours. This translates into a lot of walking and climbing for me. Yes, I really must send Nana a thank-you note. I am sure she will be happy to know that Robby is enjoying his new scooter. She will probably be tickled to learn how the scooter has left me hot, tired and sweaty. The sweet revenge of being a grandparent strikes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment