About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Not a Shot!

Scott has been in the doghouse for the past few days, but he is finally working his way back into the good graces of the family.

After more than a week, Scott noticed that the downstairs was painted blue. Even I was surprised by how many times he could walk through the room without noting the new hue. It took Robby, taking his Daddy by the hand downstairs, standing in front of the wall and saying "Ta da" for Scott to notice the paint. Yes, I was ratted out by my three year old.

After he realized how long ago the painting was completed, I think Scott struggled for an excuse. After stammering out a few sentences, he managed to explain that, when he comes home, he is so excited to be with his family that he zones out everything else. I've decided not to press him on the issue as I don't want to torture him any more than necessary.

We have been extremely concerned about the H1N1 (Swine) flu. With Scott working in the public schools he is, in a sense, on one of the battlegrounds against this virus. Robby is young and at risk. I have an impending surgery and cannot afford to get sick. We decided that we needed to become immunized as soon as possible. Or, at least, that was my understanding.

I found out that Scott actually turned down the H1N1 vaccination. Why would he make such a decision especially after our family discussion and mutual concerns? Turns out that his decision was based on fear and not logic. Yes, it turns out that my wonderful husband is afraid of needles.

When I confronted him with his decision to turn down the sought after and much needed vaccination, he knew that he was in trouble. He tried to explain that he didn't know that the vaccination could be given by nasal mist, an excuse which I quickly shot down. Finally, in a final grasp for sympathy, he rolled up his sleeve and showed me his arm. He explained that his arms are "too bony" and that the needle would go right through his flesh and penetrate into his bone. He continued to explain the vast medical complications from having a needle stuck in a bone including, but not limited to, sepsis and amputation.

I didn't need to discuss the issue with Scott because he knew that he made a mistake. Without my asking, he researched the H1N1 vaccine. He discovered that the Department of Health was administering the flu mist H1N1 vaccine from 3-7pm at our local mall.

I was relieved that he located the vaccine for the family. We met at the mall at 2:30. We were not the only family with this idea, and we stood in line with 1500 other people to be inoculated. I couldn't help but think that we were in prime breeding grounds for the virus that we were trying to avoid. The irony was not lost on me.

Scott held our place in line as I tried to entertain Robby. He had french fries, ice cream and a milkshake. We looked at the Christmas lights in every store. He announced to the clerks at Sears that he just had a "big big big big poop."

After waiting for over 3 hours, we finally received our flu mist. Scott and I are now immune. Unfortunately I learned that Robby will require another dose in one month. Hopefully his pediatrician will have the vaccine or I imagine we'll be back in line at the mall again.

We were lucky to receive our doses. They cut the line off about 50 people behind us leaving at least 800 people without their immunization. I was frustrated that Scott turned down the shot and that we were forced to stand in line for hours. I also understand how fear can cause us to make irrational choices, and my hat goes off to him for stepping up and finding a compromise. Perhaps this is another reason I love him.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be too angry with him. The flu vaccine is highly overrated. I also would hesitate to use the word "immune" after you've received it. There are no guarantees.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200911/brownlee-h1n1

    ReplyDelete