About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Time Change... Why Have You Betrayed Me?

Twice a year we have to change our clocks. Twice a year my body clock gets confused. I'm either starving by the time dinner comes or forcing myself to eat. I am either enjoying an extra hour sleep or forcing myself to wake up and function an hour earlier than my body has been accustomed. I hate the time change.

In my previous life, before I became a Mommy, I used to love the end of Daylight Savings time. To be more accurate, I was gleeful as the clocks were "falling back." I relished the extra hour sleep.

Motherhood has erased any possible benefit for the clock change. Robby, as I learned, does not know how to tell time. His body wakes up when he thinks it is time, regardless of where the hands on the clock are pointing.

Lately he has been sleeping until approximately 7:00. Because of the time change, he is now only sleeping until 6:00. Apparently the time change has had no impact on the time he goes to sleep because that has remained unchanged at 8:30. In essence, "falling back" has caused me to miss out on an hour of sleep. Yes, I feel robbed.

I have been drinking more coffee than usual, trying to jump start my mornings. Robby has been a bundle of energy as soon as he gets out of bed. As I was pouring my third cup of caffeine this morning, I started thinking about the purpose behind the changing clock. Maybe Daylight Savings Time wasn't instituted to save electricity or to help the farmers. Perhaps the changing times is a conspiracy developed by the coffee industry in order to boost sales at least twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment