About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Farm Show Bound...

Robby loves animals. We have been taking him to the local petting zoo since he was just a few months old. Unfortunately, the park is closed during the winter months, a fact that causes Robby to voice his displeasure every time we drive past the closed zoo gates. I think he has been going through animal withdrawal.

When I heard that the Pennsylvania Farm Show was running, I knew I would have to take Robby on a road trip. For those of you who are not from Pennsylvania, the Farm Show is similar to a State Fair, only without the rides. Farmers from around the state converge at the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg, in the middle of January, to show their animals. Pennsylvania agriculture is celebrated during the one-week show, which starts one Saturday and closes the next.

Although I grew up close to the Farm Show Arena, I haven't been to the show in nearly 15 years. It has always been a heavily advertised and successful event. I thought that the Farm Show might provide Robby with the critter fix he needed.

I arrived within 3 miles of the Farm Show Complex and immediately remembered why I am not a frequent visitor. I planned our visit for mid-afternoon, hoping to miss most of the crowds. As I learned, there is never a time to miss the crowds at the Farm Show!

Luckily, Robby is a good traveler and didn't seem to be agitated by the traffic jam. After several verses of "Old MacRobby Has a Farm" we finally entered the satellite parking area. My annoyance at having to be herded onto a crowded school bus in order to be shuttled to the arena was quickly overshadowed by my little boy. He was over-the-moon excited about riding a real school bus. At this point I made the decision to put my nerves on the back burner and follow Robby's lead. We were going to have fun!

Robby immediately entered the Show and took two maps. After looking at the maps and discussing the animals, we devised a plan. There was no discussion. He wanted to see the goats.

The crowds eased up as we walked through the cow show area. Robby was laughing at the smell when I promptly stepped into a large steaming pile of manure with my brand new $100 prized Shape-Up Sneakers. I spent the rest of the day trying to keep Robby from playing the "jump in the poop puddle" game that he invented.

Finally, we maneuvered the manure minefield and arrived in the goat show area. For whatever reason, Robby has always loved goats. He spent nearly two hours walking through the goat area, introducing himself to every goat that looked awake or somewhat interested.

"Hello, Goat. Robby be good friend. Have a good day. Bye bye."

My leg was starting to become sore from standing around while my little goat lover made introductions. I instinctively decided to release some of the pressure in my socket through the suction valve. As I reached for the valve, I was reminded of the steaming cow poop I had walked through earlier. Apparently, the splatter was greater than I had realized. My socket was covered with poo, which I had just transferred onto my hand.

I wiped the hay-filled manure chunks onto the back of an unsuspecting goat and tried to herd Robby away from his little friends. I tried to keep my manure-covered hand from touching anybody else as we wound our way through the crowd to the bathroom. I do have to admit to purposefully touching the back of one rude lady who pushed Robby from in front of the famous Butter Sculpture. There was a satisfaction seeing her walk away with cow poop on her sweater!

In spite of the manure, Robby and I had a fantastic time at the Farm Show. Overlooking poop seems to be a recurring theme during the past few months, considering our recent issues. After another exciting bus ride back to our car, Robby promptly fell asleep. I have no doubt he was dreaming of goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment