About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Trip Goal

Robby has discovered that I am going away. Yesterday I had a 44 inch shadow following me everywhere I went. He hugged me constantly and repeatedly reached for my hand to remind me that we are "best buddies." Knowing that my cover was blown, I sat him down and told him that Mommy had to go to work for a few days.

With Robby fully aware of my impending trip, I set about getting prepared. I packed the suitcase only to realize that it was overweight. I then unpacked and evaluated my options. I am now schlepping 10 pounds of amputeemommy.com magnets in my purse to save an additional $15 baggage fee. It is ironic that the baggage fee is precisely the copay I will have to pay my doctor when I return with a sore shoulder resulting from carrying an ultra heavy purse.

I always worry that Scott and Robby will be hungry when I am away. I typically prepare an obscene amount of food before I leave for a trip. Standing in my kitchen I had a revelation. Traditionally the food I prepare is not consumed while I'm away. My Boys will revert to a bachelor lifestyle, relying upon pizza, fast food and cheese flavored snacks for nutrition. I put my whisk down and didn't cook all day. They will be fine.

I am excited about working at the conference. I always enjoy meeting new people and hearing their stories. As I've written before, it is refreshing to be viewed as more than a wife and mother. I'm looking forward to just being Peggy for a few days.

Sometimes, when I'm begging and pleading for Robby to let the poop out, or when I'm picking up pieces of my ceiling which has been pulled down, I really miss having professional ambitions. Of course I adore being Robby's Mommy, and I wouldn't give up this time being home with him for anything. Still, I've realized it is easy to get bogged down in running the household and I forget my own talents and dreams.

For me, this trip is more than an opportunity to contribute monetarily or to socialize with other amputees. I intend to use this time to reconnect with myself and to work towards my own goals and dreams. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment