About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day Blues

Growing up, I always despised Labor Day. While most of America celebrated the end of summer with cook-outs, pool parties and fireworks, I looked upon the holiday with dread. For me, Labor Day served no other purpose than to taunt me as I prepared to return to school the following day.

Last week Scott returned to work, and it was not an easy week. His class schedule was constantly manipulated, he does not have a classroom and his instructional assistant has been reassigned to a more "vocal" teacher. Although he remained relatively calm through the tumultuous week, I became angry on his behalf, even offering to buy him some Vaseline so that it wouldn't be quite as painful while he is constantly being screwed by his school.

Northern Virginia is one of the few regions of the country where students don't return to the classroom until the Tuesday after Labor day. Tomorrow marks the first official day of school for students. If last week is any indicator, it is going to be a long school year!

I am no longer teaching, but I continue to hate Labor Day. Marking the end of summer is difficult to celebrate. I always experience the "post-summer blues" as Scott returns to work and Robby and I struggle to develop a new schedule.

I know that in a few weeks our routine will be established and life will return to normal. If the past is any indication, I just have to muddle through the next few days and the sadness will evaporate. I know that I have a lot to look forward to in the coming months - after all Christmas is only 109 days away!

No comments:

Post a Comment