About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 05, 2011

This Little Piggy

Most people don't realize that Scott is also an amputee. He sustained a work injury which resulted in the amputation of his big toe. Yes, Robby is the only member of our family that can count to twenty!

The loss of the "little piggy that went to market" has not had a large impact on his daily activities. Scott occasionally complains of pain and has been known to "stub his stump" which doubles him over with pain. Other than being careful when considering shoes, he has been able to continue life as normal.

Daddy's mysterious missing toe has made quite the impression on my little guy. Upon discovering that Scott is missing his big toe, Robby has become protective of his little digits. In actuality, he has become paranoid of suffering a similar fate.

Trying to dress Robby has become an epic undertaking. He fights putting on socks and pleads with me to not "look at his piggies." When I remove his socks he often cries and begs us to not touch his toes.

I've tried playing various toe games to alleviate his fears. Robby simply starts to cry and hysterically kicks his feet. Cutting his toenails now requires two adults and full body armor.

Last week Robby stubbed his toe and broke down crying. He ran into his bedroom where I found him taking off his sock. In a quivering little voice he explained that he was "afraid that his toe fell off like Daddy's." I called Scott into the bedroom where we had the "Daddy lost his toe but it won't happen to you" conversation. I'm fairly confident that Robby did not believe a word we told him.

He is paranoid about losing his toe but remains oblivious about the fact that I am missing my entire foot and ankle. One of his new favorite activities involves trying on my various legs, holding onto the sides of the socket and "walking" around the house. Robby even asked me to call "Mr. Elliot" so that he can get a leg that fits him.

Using four year old logic, Daddy's missing toe has made more of impression than Mommy's missing leg. Maybe it is because Robby has seen my prosthetic everyday and he only discovered the missing toe. For Robby, prosthetics are a normal part of his life and he doesn't see it as anything unusual.

Scott and I fully anticipated dealing with questions about how I lost my leg and if he will lose his leg someday. Instead, Scott is being inundated with inquiries from a little boy obsessed with a missing digit. Apparently the leg isn't the issue because, right now, it is all about the toe!

No comments:

Post a Comment