About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Formulating a Plan

This past week I have been on an emotional roller coaster. I cried most of Monday, spent much of Tuesday in a rage and was mentally and physically exhausted by Wednesday. This week is ending with my still feeling angry, but I no longer feel helpless.

I am thankful that I have friends who have stepped up to help me. My prosthetist spent over an hour with me helping to develop a lifetime prosthetic plan to present to the insurer. His billing expert met with me and helped me understand Medicare and how it would affect me should I choose to accept the notion of a "set aside account." Rest assured, I will blog more about this topic in the future!

After taking to Twitter to express my outrage towards the insurance company, I was almost immediately contacted by my attorney friend Dave--who happens to specialize in insurance and prosthetic reimbursement! He has used what little free time he has in his schedule to research my questions and to help me devise a plan of action. Dave has been elevated to hero status. I know that I can never repay him for reaching out to me when I was distraught and offering me a lifeline of knowledge and hope.

I have learned volumes about workman's compensation law, Medicare and standard health insurance (including the interplay among the three) during the past week. Much to my chagrin, I have come to the conclusion that I and every amputee need to become educated about these issues as well as impending legislation that stands to affect our standards of prosthetic care in the future. In the coming weeks I will try to relay what I have learned, as well as resources that have been helpful as I try to decipher my case.

While I resent the unnecessary turmoil that the insurance company is inflicting upon me, I am beginning to feel empowered again. I am grateful to my friends who have offered me emotional support. I am indebted to my prosthetist and to my friend Dave, both of whom have offered their time and professional expertise to help me. I am in the process of formulating a counter proposal that will secure my future prosthetic care. I refuse to be victimized by my insurance company's fiscal immorality!

No comments:

Post a Comment