About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Going to the Chapel...

I have written in the past about my wedding and my feelings about the event. For me, our ceremony is marred with bad memories. I was not comfortable with my new amputee status and was self-conscious. In retrospect, the reason for our destination wedding stemmed more from my desire to escape the spotlight than the beauty of the Caribbean. I was an unhappy, overweight and insecure bride.

To further sour my thoughts about the day, we discovered that our wedding license is not as "universally accepted" as the Internet promised. Apparently a handwritten half-sheet of paper, which refers to me as the "Spinster Margaret" is not legally binding in the state of Virginia. I have not been able to officially change the name on my driver's license or my passport. Incidentally, our bank and insurance companies have never asked for proof of marriage so I can use my married name for these institutions.

We have always intended to renew our vows and to have our wedding officially recognized outside of the Caribbean, but we never seem to get around to it. Despite our intentions, life always seems to intervene and a wedding is put on the back burner. I'm tired of having to fly using my maiden name and of explaining to salesclerks why my license has a different name than my bank card.

After years of talking about it, I am so excited to inform everybody that our wedding re-do is finally going to happen. Ossur, the prosthetic company that I represent at trade shows etc., contacted me and invited the three of us to Las Vegas. I will be working at the AOPA conference, but on the day before the conference begins, Scott and I will be married (legally) again. They are even throwing a reception for us after our ceremony to celebrate the day. After seven years, our marriage will finally be official!

In addition to back-to-school chores, and preparing Robby for the "k" word, I have been busy planning our little ceremony. I have an adorably appropriate wedding dress (but I won't describe it because I want Scott to be surprised) and have found a little suit that is perfect for Robby (although I conceded and promised him that he could still wear his boots). Unfortunately, Scott's suit no longer fits, so his outfit is a work in process.

After everybody goes to bed I've been playing on the Internet, planning everything from our cake and our chapel. I never planned my original ceremony- I never realized how much fun I was missing. I can't believe that, after all these years, I'm actually planning my wedding!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you, it brings tears to my eyes--you so deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog, and am sure to become a frequent reader! I'm so glad you are getting a chance to do your wedding over again! I was the opposite of you...I was born with a birth defect and chose to amputate my leg at the age of 19. Due to some complications, I still use crutches (at the age of 25), but on my wedding day I felt more beautiful and comfortable as an amputee than I ever would have with my leg...and I at least had a pink cane that somewhat matched the color scheme of my wedding! :) Can't wait to read more of your blog!!!

    -Gina

    ReplyDelete