About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Closure Needed

It is always painful when a friendship comes to an end. Perhaps it is more distressing when closure has been sought but not provided. I think that this is a situation that everybody encounters at some point, but the grief and pain is probably felt more deeply by women. It is not a comfortable state of mind.

I am currently licking my wounds over an ended friendship. In reality, I've known that the friendship has been over for some time. We never had a fight, at least not one in which I participated. Obviously something occurred, but I am at a loss to provide the reason. In any case, my attempts at communication were rebuffed, and after several months I have been able to read the signs.

Confrontation does not come easy for me. In fact, I tend to avoid negative conversations at all costs. That being said, a few months ago I gathered my gumption and wrote an email to my lost friend. I was forthright, acknowledging that the friendship had obviously changed and asking for closure by requesting an explanation for the sudden and drastic change. The email was difficult for me to write. I was disappointed and hurt when I received no reply. In all honesty, I felt that I deserved the courtesy of a response.

I grew tired of feigning friendships on Facebook when obviously there was no relationship. The occasional comments written on a photo or status message only served to reignite my distress over the lost friendship. The connection had become toxic, and I knew I needed to sever ties.

I would be lying if I said I didn't harbor ill-will. I am not angry because the friendship changed and ended. After all, relationships are fluid and are forever adapting. I am resentful because I was denied the courtesy of a reply when I reached out. Ignoring my communication was cowardly. Knowing that I deserve better made hitting the "remove friend" button a little less painful. I'm still a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment