About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Battle Ready

During the past week I've received several emails inquiring about the status of my upcoming surgery. I wish I could provide everybody with a firm date, but unfortunately I can't. As predicted, my insurance adjustor has decided to throw her monkey wrench denial into my quest for medical care.

As of now, I don't have a date for the surgery. I know that it needs to be done, and I know that my surgeon and lawyer have submitted all of the necessary paperwork. I've been told to "Sit tight and wait." It occurred to me that is easy for somebody who isn't living with a bone spur, splintering bone, and distal tip failure to say!

I am feeling increasingly impatient, not because I'm eager for surgery but because I want to feel normal when walking. The pain is increasing, and I am feeling more of the effects of my ailing limb. The soreness keeps me from falling asleep and often wakes me up in the middle of the night. Jogging and higher impact activities are increasingly painful, and I find myself walking more deliberately and cautiously.

For now my surgical status is in a holding pattern awaiting the whims of my adjustor. I despise my medical care being held hostage by such a heartless, penny pinching dictator. I am not asking for anything that hasn't been documented as medically necessary, yet I have no doubt that I will have to plead my case in court so that I can regain my limb health.

I wish that I could simply schedule the surgery, make the necessary plans, and have control over my own health care. Being injured at work apparently robs me of this "luxury" as I am now subjected to a lifetime of denials, justifications, and seemingly endless court hearings. Routinely denying claims must be financially beneficial for the insurance company or I doubt that they would go to the trouble. I'm sure that many people simply tire of the battle, resigning themselves to a lifetime of mediocre care and discomfort. I know first hand that the fight is exhausting.

No matter how laborious, I will never stop advocating for my care.  I will never stop fighting for the limb and prosthetic care that I require. I resent that I have to fight, but I'll continue to battle the insurance company for myself and for others who don't have the ability or strength to do it for themselves.


Deny my request for surgery? The gauntlet has been thrown. Bring it on. I'm ready to battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment