About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Phantom Memories

Visiting the Smithsonian on Sunday has left us all with wonderful memories. Robby continues to chatter about the "ginormous dinosaur poop," often comparing his specimens with the photos shown to him at the museum. Thankfully, Mr. Bill finds the information charming and not strange!

Unfortunately the heat and humidity coupled with my failing limb and walking for hours on the marble floors of the museum has rendered me with more pain. I didn't notice the impact on my limb until I took off my leg and lay down for the night. Instantly my leg felt like it was being swarmed and stung. As the stinging increased, in intensity, the jitterbug kicking commenced. Needless to say, it was not a good night.

During the day my leg is sore but not painful. I'm functional, but at night the pain becomes relentless. I haven't slept more than a few hours since our museum trip, and I'm beginning to feel the impact. I'm beginning to feel dopey and more uncoordinated than normal. I'm hoping that soon exhaustion will take over, and I'll be able to sleep despite the kicking and stinging.

It has been a long time since I've been kept awake because of leg pain. Although I resent the pain, experiencing it also reminds me of how lucky I am. Some of my amputee friends live every day battling nerve/ phantom pain. I can't fathom that misery!

During the next few days, I'm going to take it easy allowing my leg to rest. I'm hoping that by keeping my leg use to a minimum my limb will begin to recover. Thankfully Robby seems content playing Operation and building the next architectural masterpiece with K'nex.

No comments:

Post a Comment