About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cramping My Style

Yesterday, after a busy morning both working and visiting my prosthetist, I decided to relax by taking a walk. The weather was gorgeous, and I figured it was the perfect opportunity to test walk my new socket. Eager to take advantage of the sunshine and burn some calories, I headed out the door.

By the time I reached the end of our street my stump was aching. I chalked it up to the socket and paused to readjust the fit. It immediately felt better, and I continued my afternoon jaunt with a happy spring in my step.

I was about a mile away from my house when my leg began to cramp. Typically I can walk through the cramp and it doesn't last long. This time each step made the pain more intense. By the time I made my way to the guardrail on the side of the road, pain filled tears were filling my eyes and I could not bear weight on my prosthesis. 

My toes felt like they were being twisted in opposite directions, and my ankle felt like it was being beaten with a hammer. Frantically I sat down on the guardrail and worked to remove my leg. What remains of my calf muscle was in such a spasm that it made removing my prosthesis extremely difficult. After about five agonizing minutes I was able to free my limb. 

It felt like the cramp would be relieved if I could wiggle my toes. Unfortunately I don't have my foot anymore, so that eliminated that possibility. I tried to imagine my toes and move them, but that simply intensified the muscle contortions. All I could do was balance on the guard rail and wait for the muscle to relax. 

The pain became so intense I began to see stars, sweat profusely and shake. I ended up sliding down the guardrail, sitting precariously on the side of the road in what I am hoping was not poison ivy. Rubbing my leg provided little relief, and for the first time in a long time, I felt completely helpless. 

During the 40 minutes I sat on the side of the road with my leg removed, I was passed by countless cars and trucks. I was disappointed that not one of my neighbors slowed down and offered assistance. I surely would have offered to help if I saw somebody I knew in that situation! 

Finally the muscle relaxed enough for me to don my leg and hobble back home. Mr. Bill saw me coming down our street, immediately knowing that something was wrong he hopped in his truck and picked me up. This gesture restored some faith in humanity, and I promised that I would call him if I ever encountered a problem when I'm walking.

Last night my entire body was sore. Apparently all of my muscles tightened during the incident because it felt like I had hit a brick wall. Today I wish I could simply rest. Instead I'm switching to my other leg and assuming chaperone duties for Robby's much anticipated field trip to the farm! Hopefully nothing will happen to "cramp" my fun Momom style!

No comments:

Post a Comment