About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Birthday Wrap-Up

Robby's birthday was this past and Friday and, if I do say so myself, it was a rousing success. My little Koopa was smiling all day. With the ongoing monumental adjustment to having a little brother, it was nice to see Robby relaxed and happy all day. The fact that my Mom was visiting and was able to watch Timmy (allowing me to spend the afternoon at his school without his little brother) certainly helped!

Per birthday boy request, I showed up at his school during lunchtime with a platter of chicken nuggets in one hand and a tray of french fries in the other. His classmates were delighted with the lunchtime surprise. Robby was certainly hailed as a hero when he was passing out the plates and napkins before sharing the feast. 

After lunch, the homemade turtle shape cake was revealed and served. Although Robby thought it was adorable, he refused to eat. I think the thought of eating the turtle's head, even though it was a cake, was too much to bear.  In the future I think I'll make a small sheet cake to serve along side the butchered animal.

The class was utter jubilant when I brought in the pinata. Scott was in charge of filling the giant Angry Bird pig, and he took his responsibility seriously. He came back from Target with three bags stuffed with candy, small toys and assorted surprises. By the time he was done filling it, the pinata was stuffed full and extremely heavy.  I knew that his friends were going to be thrilled when it was finally cracked open. 

It turns out that it takes small children a long time to crack open a pinata. Each student went five times before the teacher, perhaps out of desire to release some frustration, took the hockey stick and started beating the pig. After a few whacks, the candy and toys were flying across the playground. The class scurried, red bags in hand, to scavenge as much of the treasure as possible.

After all the loot was secured, the class went back inside. With the Principal and a few other teachers in the room (raiding the remaining cake), a little girl adeptly linked two glow bracelets together to create handcuffs. She proudly put them onto her wrists, stood up and loudly announced, "I made handcuffs. These look just like the ones in my Mommy and Daddy's bedroom." The Principal, who had just taken a bite of cake, began to cough and choke.

 Leaving the school, I ran into the handcuff Mom. I felt a sense of "thank goodness that wasn't me" relief. Typically it is Robby who orchestrates the public humiliation through his honest observations!

 Although I missed Timmy during the day, I'm glad I was able to spend the afternoon at Robby's school without the baby distraction. Robby seemed to thoroughly enjoy having my undivided attention, and all of his friends had fun at his party.

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog and have spent the last 20 minutes or so reading posts. I quite like it. I am an amputee by birth, that is contending with the birth of my first son and the struggles faced are very real. I am missing my right hand, as opposed to a lower-limb amputation. Despite being called amputee - I am not an amputee in the traditional sense.


    Looking forward to following along your blog!

    ReplyDelete