About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, September 08, 2014

Asked for Help

Well, my weekend of relaxation never materialized. Perhaps I'll be able to rest in 18 years,when Timmy leaves for college. Until then, I have resigned myself to the fact that my weekends will be filled with activities, work, chores and various family adventures. The lazy weekends spent on the couch watching movies and eating cookie dough ice cream are a thing of the past.

I'm trying to not complain; I know that these days will not last forever. Someday Timmy will sleep through the night and will not want to be rocked at 3 AM. Although I'm exhausted now, I know that I will miss these tender moments.

I know that I wouldn't be this tired if I weren't still recovering from surgery. Outwardly I look fine. The only remnants of the procedure is that I am limited bending, lifting and carrying objects. Although I look healthy, I can still feel the effects of the surgery. I am beginning to believe the doctor when she said it would take three months to completely recover. 

Most of the time I am doing fine, able to work and take care of everything with little to no assistance. The only real obstacle I am encountering occurs in the morning when it is time to take Robby to school. Schlepping Timmy into the car, then carrying him out of the car into Robby's school, then back to the car only to be carried into the house when we get home a few minutes later is both laborious and painful. In a 20 minute period, I have to pick up and move the little guy four separate times.  By the time we are done, I'm ready for a the heating pad and a nap--and he is ready to play!

Friday I finally broke down and did something that pushed me out of my comfort zone. I called a neighbor and asked for help. Sue, my neighbor, was an absolute godsend last year after Timmy was born. She has been offering to help again this year, but my pride has stood in the way of accepting her offer. I don't know why it is so hard for me to admit that I need help! 

Sue sounded genuinely happy to lend me a hand. She has offered to come over every morning to watch Timmy while I drive Robby to school. Not having to carry and move him so many times is going to help me immensely. I wish I had called her last week when I recognized the problem. 

I consider myself lucky to have such wonderful neighbors and friends. Although it is still difficult for me to reach out and ask for assistance, I am thankful that they are eager and willing to help. Maybe one of these days it won't be so hard for me to make the request!

No comments:

Post a Comment