About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Keep Fighting

Living with a disability is exhausting. I'm not tired because I use a prosthesis, and I consider myself lucky not to battle constant phantom pain. Instead of physical causes, my fatigue stems from constantly being in a battle.  After more than a decade of fighting, I am becoming battle weary. I just wish that getting what I need to live a full life as an amputee wasn't so unnecessarily complicated.

Nearly a month ago I started the process for new liners. I visited my doctor and secured the proper prescription. I also made sure that the need was properly documented in my medical file. (In many ways I'm lucky because I know exactly how the notes need to read, and how the prescription should be worded.) The paperwork, along with my prosthetists notes and documentation, were submitted to my insurance adjuster.  Receipt of the request has been acknowledged in August, but I am still walking around on hole-riddled liners.  

Numerous calls to my adjuster have yielded only curtly worded justifications for the delay. At this time she is "evaluating" the request. The whole concept of "evaluating" my need for prosthetic liners baffles me. My amputee status is not going to change, and liners are considered standard for prosthetic use. The liners are off the shelf and are about as no-frills as you can get. I'm not asking for anything spectacular, out of the norm or groundbreaking. I'm just asking for the supplies I need to continue to live my ambulatory life.   

 In addition to my own insurance battle, I am actively lobbying against the Graham-Cassidy healthcare bill. This bill would remove Essential Health Benefit mandates, leaving every amputee at risk for the return of lifetime maximums and unattainable prosthetic coverage. The bill would also allow insurers to financially penalize those with pre-existing conditions by charging more for less coverage. Those who are living with a pre-existing condition, which incidentally is approximately 75% of all individuals between 45-54 and 84% of those age 55-64.  

If you are interested in learning more about the implications of the Graham-Cassidy Bill on the limb loss community, I encourage you to check out this week's podcast on amp'd. Dave and I broke down the complicated legislation and provided template letters to send to your Senators. I'm tired of dealing with insurance and healthcare, but until the battles stop I won't quit.  The stakes, my mobility and prosthetic coverage for my friends, are worth the fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment