About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Be Prepared

Relying upon manufactured devices, which occasionally breakdown, is one of the most frustrating aspects of living as an amputee. When my prosthesis works perfectly, living as an amputee is my norm. I put my leg on in the morning and I really don't think about it throughout the day. When my prosthesis fails, being an amputee jumps to the forefront of all thoughts.

At the beginning of this month, while at the World War II weekend with Robby, my liner developed a significant tear along the back of my leg. Because my limb wasn't protected by the silicone, each step was painful as my skin became increasingly raw from the rubbing. By the end of the first day I was hobbling around both in pain and with a horrific gait. 

I refused to slow down because I knew how much Robby adored the event, but I was definitely struggling to keep up with him. When packing for the event I failed to put an extra liner in the suitcase, which was a rookie mistake. (I have been an amputee long enough to appreciate that component failures always happen at the most inopportune moments.) Thankfully Scott was coming to the event the next day and was able to bring a new liner to me but I was silently cursing myself for not bringing it with me.

While at the beach with the kids I lost the top of my suction valve. I have no idea when or where I lost it, I only realized it was missing when I couldn't maintain suction in my leg. Thankfully I had my repair kit with me and I was able to replace it quickly. I would have struggled to walk safely had I not been able to pop in a new valve.

Prosthetic failures frustrate me because I am reminded of the vulnerability of my mobility. One tiny tear, or if one small piece of plastic can derail my plans for the day. Thankfully both of my recent issues were easy to remedy, but that isn't always the case. After what happened at the World War II weekend, I won't make the mistake of traveling without my repair kit again!  


No comments:

Post a Comment