About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Prepping?

It feels like the entire country is in the throws of quarantine prep. I certainly don't blame them. As the mother of a child with a compromised immune system, I know all too well the real-life fears that arise from the threat of an infection. 

I'm glad that people are starting to practice good hygiene and are more cognizant of possible contagious hazards. If we learn nothing else from this emerging pandemic, it will serve as a reminder that soap and water, hand sanitizer and disinfecting surfaces are all good practice and effective. If everybody kept as vigilant during the "regular" flu season, my Timmy would be considerably safer in public. 

Our local news has been providing both warnings and guidelines for how to prepare for a quarantine. Store shelves have been purged of toilet paper, soap, disinfectant and potato chips. A silver lining perhaps, but Scott and I don't feel the need to jump onto the bandwagon. For us, quarantine has become our norm.

I have been living in partial quarantine with Timmy since the beginning of the year. Scott is accustomed to thoroughly disinfecting and changing his clothes each time he reenters the house. We don't venture to stores, Timmy hasn't been to a bounce house or even in a restaurant for months.Timmy and I have become our own little village, sustaining with as little outside contact as possible. It stinks, but knowing that he is safer makes the effort worthwhile.  

Quarantine isn't fun, but sometimes it is a necessary evil. If you are asked to stay away from people because of exposure, follow the recommendations. While you may be healthy enough to fight off the flu or Coronavirus, not everybody is as fortunate to have a strong immune response.

No comments:

Post a Comment