About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Staying Home

 After a long conversation with my Mom and carefully weighing the risks against the benefits, we made the difficult decision to celebrate Thanksgiving together virtually this year. This is the first Thanksgiving I will not be in Pennsylvania with my Mom and the decision to stay home was heart wrenching. 

The decision, although heartbreaking, was clear when I learned that every body in her household has not been practicing the same levels of social distancing. From sleepover play dates, visits with friends, and a plethora of leisure community exposure, we just couldn't justify the Covid risks. I would worry for weeks about a potential exposure, sapping any holiday spirit that we have been able to muster.

I recognize that not everybody views social distancing through the same lens and that the risk/ benefit scale is different for everybody. Scott and I have remained vigilant about following all of the CDC and government recommendations. I don't feel like this is the time to go against those standards. Like everything else this year, Thanksgiving will look and feel very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment