About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Playing in the Park...

I was playing in the park the other day with Robby, and one of my fears became a reality. Since before he was conceived, I worried how my child would react when ridiculed because of Mommy's leg. Kids are cruel, and I knew that regardless of all of my efforts, teasing was inevitable.

Robby was playing with a group of older kids; they seemed to be around 5 years old. Because Robby is only two, I always stay close when we are in the park. I was standing a few feet away, watching him interact and play. I have discovered that many parents don't stay close to their children at the park which I'm sure will the subject in a future blog.

I heard the boys talking, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Then, they all started chanting, in unison, "your Mommy's a freakoid... your Mommy's a freakoid." I was horrified and stunned. I wasn't sure if I could address the children or let them work it out. The teacher in me told me to observe and see how it plays out, but the Mommy in me wanted to go and rescue my child.

Robby is almost 3. I'm sure he doesn't know what a "freakoid" is yet, but he does know that it isn't a nice thing, and that the kids were saying it about his Mommy. He started saying, "No no no. My Mommy... no no no." The kids proceeded with the chant, ignoring my son's comments.

Undeterred, Robby continued to tell them to stop. When his verbal requests were ignored by these little "urchins," he instinctually moved onto the next step. He started picking up handfuls of mulch and proceeded to throw it into the faces of the boys. I was amazed at how quickly two little hands could throw mulch, and the quantity that those little hands could hold.

Within seconds, the boys scattered. I watched the boys run to their parents, and I immediately started to receive "the glare." Obviously, the boys failed report the impetus for the mulch throwing. After smiling at the glaring parents, I gave Robby a hug. I then told him that he shouldn't throw mulch because it could hurt. I told him that I loved him and bought him ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment