About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 09, 2010

New and Improved

I had a wonderful time in Missouri stretching my "non-Mommy wings." It was pleasant to engage in adult conversations and to enjoy a meal at a restaurant that did not provide crayons in a paper place mat. As much as I enjoyed my brief foray into the professional realm, it was wonderful to come home.

Robby and Scott were waiting at baggage claim in the terminal. Robby greeted me with a wrap around hug and smothered me with kisses. He has been telling me that he missed me and that I am his "best buddy." Friday night, as I was tucking him into bed, I asked him to tell me his favorite thing that he and his Daddy did while I was gone. Without hesitation, he told me that his favorite thing was "going to the big airport to pick up Mommy."

I returned home with a renewed enthusiasm for both my blog and my website. The drama that ensued from my "Humiliation" blog filled me with doubt. I was devastated by the negative reception my post received. There were many days I faced an empty screen, struggling to fill the page because my heart just wasn't in it.

During the few days in Missouri I was afforded the opportunity to meet with numerous prosthetists and physical therapists. I was reminded of the purpose behind my blog and the reasons for its inception. I now find myself excited about continuing with The Tales and my mind is racing with ideas.

Many of my readers may not know that, in addition to my blog, I have an accompanying website. I have been working on the site for over a year sporadically but never created anything that I felt reflected my vision. I knew that I needed to devote more time to the project but was lacking in motivation. I have no design skills and even less web site experience, so the prospect of creating a website of my own was overwhelming.

Saturday evening, after Robby was tucked into bed, I found the motivation to get started. I would like to invite you to visit the new and improved AmputeeMommy website (www.amputeemommy.com). It is a work in progress and I will be adding resources and links in the coming weeks. Finally, my website reflects both my vision and my philosophy and I am proud that it bears my name.

I urge you to register for the forum and to utilize the platform to reach out and share ideas and experiences with other amputees. I am optimistic that AmputeeMommy, in conjunction with my blog, will become both a source of inspiration and information for those who are newly affected by limb loss. The reasons for our amputations vary, but the emotions that are experienced are universal. Everyone has a story, and everybody has a unique perspective about living as an amputee. Through the blog and site I want to convey that one can not only survive limb loss, but can come through the experience and thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment