About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chapped

In spite of the whining emanating from both boys during the drive yesterday, I was thankful for the down time. Although I didn't do a lot of walking in Ohio, my leg has been feeling increasingly sensitive and sore. I've noticed my limp becoming more pronounced, a reality that I always find annoying and frustrating! Yesterday morning while examining my limb, I discovered that the entire bottom is chapped.

Despite my best efforts, I did not pack well for this trip. I only brought one liner and I forgot my leg cream. I suspect that staying in a wet liner after swimming and/or sweating, combined with not having my normal moisturizer created the perfect storm for chapping the sensitive skin. I'd kick myself (if I could) because I should have known better!

I've never had a chapped stump before, and I have to admit, it doesn't feel good! I can't say that it is painful, but I am certainly more aware of my limb when I walk. I am concerned about the cracks opening and becoming infected, and I have been trying to keep my activity to a minimum until I am home and can treat it properly. Needless to say, I was happy for the hours the drive afforded me to remove my prosthetic completely!

We stopped at a hotel in West Virginia for the night and we will be home today. On the drive home today I plan on keeping my leg lathered in the cream that Scott found at the Target near our hotel. I'm hopeful that the constant moisturizing will help to restore and heal my skin. I'm at a loss for what else to do. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. I use a skin cream called Elta. It is one of the best moisturizers I have found. I get it from www.Elta.net

    ReplyDelete