About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Long Weekend

I am doubtful that I will ever look back on this past weekend with fondness. Robby was pushing the limits of our family rules, forcing us to remove access to electronic devices. Although removing the devices is an effective punishment, doing so also creates more work for us. Instead of occupying himself, especially during times when I just want quiet, he becomes a bundle of need and want. When his devices were removed he quickly began to serenade anybody who would listen with pleas of "I'm so bored" and "there is nothing in the whole wide world to do." Of course, his tune quickly changed when I provided him with a lengthy list of chores that needed to be completed. 

Timmy seemed to follow the lead of his big brother. Nothing we did pleased the little guy. Instead of cooing and smiling, he spent the entire weekend fidgeting and screaming. All he wanted was to be held and rocked. Typically I love holding and rocking him, but it is not nearly as relaxing when he is a squirming bundle of discontent.

I tried every tool in my mom arsenal, yet nothing was effective in calming Timmy down. He spent all Saturday fussing and crying to the point of exhausting both Scott and me. Robby, banned from his XBox, sought refuge by throwing poppers out of his tree house and informing every neighbor that his baby brother was "screaming like a naked chimpanzee." I'm sure that they didn't need to be warned; the screaming emanating from our home was all the information necessary.

It is a terribly helpless feeling trying to soothe a baby who is not responding positively to anything. At one point I felt utterly defeated, consigned to the fact that my newborn simply hates me. When I voiced this feeling, Robby piped in and agreed that his baby brother must hate me.  For good measure, he also added that I am a mean Momom too because I banned him from Xbox. So much for mother of the year!

By Sunday night Timmy had finally calmed down and, although he was fidgety, he was not as miserable. Robby had re-earned access to some electronic devices, affording me a quiet house for a few precious moments. If I wasn't still on pain medication, I would have poured myself a drink.  I definitely earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment