About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, October 09, 2014

Eclipses

Yesterday morning, before dawn, I found  myself in an unusual situation. It was one of those surreal, am I really doing this, moments. I never imagined that I would be standing in a parking lot of 7-11, in the dark, setting up a telescope with an excited little boy. But Robby loves science, and I want to support his interests, so when he begged to drive somewhere to catch a better look at the lunar eclipse, I couldn't say no. 

I only wish I had the foresight to have changed out of my bright pink pajamas before piling into the car on our moon quest. And brushing my hair might have been a nice touch, but that didn't happen either.  Standing in the middle of an extremely busy intersection, sporting my Scottie dog nightgown, polka dot pajama bottoms, and wild bed hair was not exactly part of the plan. Of course, my plan for viewing the eclipse from the comfort of our deck was squelched when we realized the moon was too low on the horizon to be viewed over the trees.  Robby wanted a better view, and I knew that time was of the essence when dealing with an eclipse. I honestly didn't even think about what I was wearing.

Needless to say, I am sure that I provided fodder for conversation from the hundreds of people who saw us in the parking lot. Cars honked, people waved and passengers craned their heads to catch a better look. In that little corner of the world, I think it is safe to say that I received more views and interest than the anticipated "blood moon."

Robby, unfazed by our attire and situation, was completely focused on the eclipse. He was eager to share the event with anybody who was within ear shot, heralding drowsy drivers clutching freshly purchased cups of coffee and those who were filling their gas tanks to come and look through his telescope. I was surprised by how many strangers took him up on his offer. 

I love Robby's enthusiasm for learning and experiencing life, and I hope that these are traits that never change. If fostering his interests means that I sometimes end up humiliated, I am willing to take the risk. Yesterday wasn't the first time I've been embarrassed in public, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment