About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Resolution Simplified

This is the final day of 2014 and I must admit that I'm delighted to kiss this year goodbye. The year has held an inordinate amount of physical pain and emotional frustration, and I am happy to put it in the past. This calendar year did hold one outstanding highlight in Timmy's birth. I adore seeing his gummy smile each morning and watching him grow and learn. Timmy being healthy trumps all of the pain and anguish we encountered. 

While 2014 was a struggle, I am proud that we survived and emerged stronger and wiser.  I realized that true strength comes from admitting that I couldn't do it all alone and that I needed other people to pitch in and help.  Asking for assistance does not come easy for me, but I am getting better at reaching out when I am in need.  I am so grateful that I have a small army of family and friends willing to lend a hand. I know that everybody is not nearly as lucky, and I am thankful for the support in our lives.

Our little family has settled into a comfortable routine which keeps me both fulfilled and busy. I am fortunate to be able to do the lions share of my work at home, allowing us to keep Timmy out of daycare. When I do have to attend meetings or finish reports, I know that he is both safe and happy in the baby care room at Robby's school. I am juggling several jobs while trying to remain a stay-at-home Mom, but I know that the sleepless nights and stressful moments will pay off as Timmy and Robby grow. The memories that we are creating and the bond that is being forged will be worth every single not-so-easy-to-cover grey hair. 

Typically my New Year resolutions are fitness/ weight related. This year, instead of a smaller jean size, I am desperate to establish order and organization. My life is  busy and I am juggling so many tasks daily that I am finding that I need to try to simplify as much as possible.  From not being able to find my keys in the morning to frantically scouring the freezer for something to throw into the oven for dinner, these little life aggravations are wearing me out.

I know myself well enough to realize that trying to enact a sweeping lifestyle change is only setting me up for failure. Instead, today I am resolving to make two small changes. I am going to always put my car keys in the basket at the top of the stairs. I am also going to create a weekly menu so that I don't have to scramble to come up with something to serve for dinner. Hopefully I'll be successful with these baby steps, and I'll be able to add more changes next month.  Who knows, by this time next year I might be the most organized person on the block!





No comments:

Post a Comment