About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

#KidKindness

The events over the weekend have been difficult to comprehend. I keep wracking my brain, trying to make sense of something completely nonsensical.  My heart breaks for everybody impacted, and I am saddened that we live in a society where such assaults are becoming commonplace.

I've tried to shield Robby from the constant news coverage but my efforts were in vain. He is ten, and far more aware of current events than I would prefer. He has been confused and scared since learning of the shooting. Yesterday morning I decided it was time to bring up the events in conversation to gauge his reaction.

It turns out that Robby was completely oblivious to the fact that the nightclub was targeted because of the sexual orientation of their patrons. Instead, he assumed that the shooter simply didn't like techno dance music and snapped. (I just love his blissful innocence about the bigotry pervasive in our society!) When I explained that the shooter chose the club not because of the music but because of the dancers, Robby spiraled into a completely different realm of confusion and anxiety.

I am proud that Robby is completely non-reactive about people's sexual identities, race or disabilities. People are people, and everybody deserves to be respected. He doesn't view differences as a negative. I wish that everybody else had his solid perspective on acceptance. 

Still trying to understand the hatred, Robby devised a plan. Over the summer, he wants to counter the negativity with positive actions. Without any prompts or suggestions, he asked me if I would help him spread joy. He is hoping a small spark of kindness might help to extinguish some of hate.

Every day this summer he is pledging to do something good. The acts won't cost money but will involve both time and effort. (He also came up with the rules for his venture.) He is resurrecting his blog (www.robbylikesyellow.blogspot.com) and will be using the #Kidkindness on my Twitter and FB accounts to relay his good deed for the day.

I know that he would love it if others would join forces with him to create a movement of joy. Please consider doing a good deed and posting about it with the #KidKindness tag.  
 
I guess now we are embarking on the Summer of Friendship, Fun and Kindness!

No comments:

Post a Comment