About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Losing My Foot but Finding Myself

Happy 4th of July!

Yesterday was my personal Independence Day as I marked 13 years as an amputee. I wasn't depressed as I have been in years past, but I definitely felt a somber undertone to the day. I tried not to  dwell on the memories of that day, because despite the years that have passed I am transported back to the gurney being wheeled into the OR whenever I remember. Those memories are painful and are best left in the past. Instead of reflecting back, I opted to focus on the present.  If I hadn't decided to amputate, I would not be where I am today.

Losing my foot allowed me to find myself. I have a new career which I love. I discovered a passion for helping my community which I find both invigorating and challenging. Perhaps most importantly I am the mother to two wonderful little boys, both of whom are growing up with a natural and sincere empathy and understanding towards individuals with physical and mental differences. I've discovered that having a parent with a disability is not a weakness but an asset.

During the past year my limb loss has infiltrated into my dreams, fully solidifying the reality in all realms of consciousness.  I will probably mourn my foot for the rest of my life, but those moments are fleeting and are becoming more scarce as time passes. The road hasn't always been easy, but I know that I made the right decision 13 years ago.



2 comments:

  1. My dear friend,
    As crazy as it sounds but a whole New world opened up for me after I had my leg amputated. Places I have been and the people I have met. I have no regrets anymore and so I totally get you. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you... Its a tough road, no one denies that, and we all make it at our own pace.(no pun intended).I'm only about 15 months ahead of you. I'm just glad that we have became friends...My life is richer for having "met" and knowing you..I'm here when and if you need me,Sis...

    ReplyDelete