About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Feeling Better and Still Fighting

Timmy woke up yesterday with a fever but turned the corner as the morning progressed.  By lunchtime he was full of energy and had returned to his normal mischievous self. His giggle sounded especially sweet after being absent for a few days. My goodness I love my little trouble seeking toddler!

I spent much of my day trying to keep him calm and contained. While I knew that he was feeling better, I felt it prudent to keep him as quiet as possible so that he could fully recover. Of course, he had a different perspective and took my desire to keep him quiet as a challenge. Assuming that his fever doesn't return, I think today we will be good to go to resume our normal activities. 
 
On a separate note, the movement to maintain essential benefit status for prosthetics is in full swing. If you have not yet sent your emails or contacted your legislators, I implore you to do so now. The amputee community is relatively small, yet we find strength through our collective voice.  A template email, as well as contact information for every legislator, can be found on our new podcast website.

I have spent the past two days on the computer and phone, trying to create awareness and momentum for this issue. Losing essential health benefit status could be catastrophic for many in the limb loss community. Without this status, insurance policies will revert back to lifetime caps and yearly maximum benefits. These restrictions will further restrict access to devices and quality care, forcing many into wheelchairs or back onto crutches because they cannot afford to ambulate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment