About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Bike Riding

The weather this weekend was absolutely beautiful. After the wicked cold snap of the past few weeks, the 50 degree temperatures felt like a heat wave. The snow melted away and the ground defrosted, leaving our yard a muddy paradise for my little Hamlet. Robby spent the weekend in bed, still sick but improving, but Timmy was full of energy and ready to take on the world.  With Scott tethered to both sports on television and sticking by Robby in case he needed something, entertaining and playing Timmy was left to me.

Because of the widespread flu in our area, I opted to stay away from crowds. Instead of heading to a playground or to the Animal Park, Timmy and I spent the majority of our weekend playing outside. He delighted riding (and mastering) his new balance bike. By Saturday afternoon he was tooling around the neighborhood, gliding and handling the little bike with natural ease. 

Robby didn't learn to ride a bike until he was nine, but Timmy has already mastered balance and momentum. I think he will be riding a pedal bike this summer, but for now I'm content to keep him on a balance bike.  He is already too daring for my comfort. He loves to go fast down hills, which scares me every time. He is fearless!

Sunday afternoon I pulled my bike out of the garage, pumped up the tires and joined Timmy on a little ride through our neighborhood. He giggled throughout our ride, proud as could be that he was on his own bike. I have to admit that I loved every moment. The only thing that could have made the afternoon better would have been Robby feeling healthy and well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment