About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Sharing Joy

Another week, another mass shooting. 

Just when I feel that our country cannot handle anymore heartache another tragedy strikes. I feel both sickened and broken when I watch the news reports. As the wife of a high school teacher and the mother of a middle schooler, I now feel a tinge of anxiety each morning when they walk out the door. The fact that I experience this fear is both wrong and infuriating!

With so much negativity and tragedy streaming through the media, I wanted to take this opportunity to try to share something uplifting. In December I flew to San Francisco to attend my company's holiday fundraiser. (The fact that my new employer, LIM Innovations, dedicates their holiday function to worthy nonprofits is one of many reasons that I am delighted with my professional change.)  This year we raised funds for two nonprofits, ROMP and Upright Africa, both of which are making a true difference for the limb loss/ limb difference community in disadvantaged countries. 

Yesterday I received a video featuring a young eight year old boy named Ilunga. Ilunga had suffered the loss of both of his legs and was desperate for the chance to walk. John from Upright Africa refused to give up on this child and worked tirelessly to make his dream of mobility a reality.

Over the past several months LIM Innovations handcrafted new sockets for this youngster, deliberately working to make sure that the sockets can adjust to his growing (and strengthening) body. Upright Africa recently delivered the new legs to Ilunga and have been working with him to relearn balance and mobility.  Yesterday this sweet young child, who felt like the world had abandoned and disregarded him, stood tall and took his first steps.  

Perhaps if we celebrate these heartwarming stories the world will be a kinder place.  Happy Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment