About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Blocked Friendships

 Last night, when I was scrolling through Facebook before settling down for bed, I realized I hadn't heard from a college friend of mine for awhile. She and I were close in college but drifted apart through our adult years. Even though we don't connect on a regular basis, we have always been able to pick up our friendship without missing a beat. We actually used to joke about the comfort we felt whenever we talked, even if years had passed.

Wanting to reconnect and say hello, I typed her name into my search. I was confused when nothing came up. I checked my messages and realized that our multi-year long thread was missing. I contacted a mutual friend to ask if she could locate our friend, and she quickly sent me a screen shot of the profile. 

I felt perplexed and devastated when I realized that I had not only been unfriended, but that I had been blocked as well. A 25 year friendship was summarily dismissed without my knowledge. To add insult to the loss of a friend, I have absolutely no idea what I did to be blocked from her life. I can't remember any outreach that I didn't respond to, and our interactions have always been upbeat and supportive.

It hurts to lose a friend. It is confusing when you don't know the rationale. I am toying with the notion of sending her a card as an olive branch, but right now I'm just hurt. I know that, when my emotions are this raw, it is always better for me to allow myself some time before responding.

No comments:

Post a Comment