About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A Constant Fear...

Like all Moms, I am active. I learned through experience that there is no such thing as a sick day when you have a small child. Regardless of how bad I feel, Robby's needs always come first. He needs clean diapers, food and entertainment no matter how sick I may be.

As a Mommy, one of my biggest fears is not being able to take care of my son. I am terrified of developing a leg infection. I have met many amputees who have lost more of their residual limb due to infection. For me, this thought is petrifying.

I am lucky in that I have not yet had a severe leg infection. I am proactive about infection control. I keep my stump and liners clean. I have also included "stump examination" into my daily grooming rituals.

Every morning, and again at night, I examine my stump for nicks or blisters. Because of the decreased circulation in a residual limb, I cannot rely upon pain as an indicator. I must physically examine my limb to make sure that it is healthy.

When I discover a pinch cut or blister, I try to minimize the activity on my leg until it heals. Keeping my leg completely off is difficult but I do try to remove the prosthetic more often during the day. These are the days I am thankful for the Disney Channel and Nick Jr.. I also apply a thick coat of antibiotic ointment several times a day.

I must have been naive before my amputation. I didn't appreciate how terrified of developing an infection I would become. I resent having to examine my residual limb daily, but I have accepted it as a necessary evil of being an amputee. I guess I hate the daily ritual because it is yet another reminder of how my life has changed since losing my leg. After all, it must be done to prevent an infection. This Mommy can't take sick days!

No comments:

Post a Comment