About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Paging Dr. House

I adore my surgeon who performed my amputation. Dr. Schon's intelligence was matched by both practical knowledge and compassion. I have learned during the past few days, these attributes are not universal among medical professions.

I have concluded that doctors see what they want to see, and consider only symptoms which fit their preconceived diagnosis. Trust me, I have learned through first hand experience that this is both an ineffective and frustrating way to practice their craft. I have been on an emotional roller coaster. I am still sick, and I am tired of begging doctors to employ a holistic approach to my symptoms.

I desperately need Dr. Gregory House (from Fox's show House). Say what you may about this fictitious doctor's bedside manner, he considers every symptom as a valuable clue to uncovering the mystery of the diagnosis. I am beginning to believe that this approach is only seen in television and movies.

I have yet to receive a diagnosis, but several diseases have been eliminated. I am thrilled that I do not have diabetes. My blood sugar was described as "perfect." I think this is the only time the adjective of "perfect" has ever been paired with my name. Despite a history of kidney issues, kidney failure has also been ruled out.

Unfortunately, the diagnosis du jour involves a growth on my pituitary gland. My thyroid level, which was normal in March, is now elevated to 6.5. Apparently, it is now believed that I have a growth or tumor on my pituitary gland. This tumor is causing the pituitary gland to malfunction, leaving me extremely thirsty and tired and dizzy. The pressure against the gland has also caused my thyroid to malfunction, hence the elevated number.

I am told that the surgery is a relatively simple procedure. I have been told that these tumors are rarely cancerous. I no longer fear surgery. I have already endured over 25 surgeries on my leg and residual limb. I have also learned that when a surgeon refers to a procedure as "simple," they are referring to the difficulty performing the operation and not to the patient's pain or recovery.

I am still awaiting test results, and have been told to go home and relax. This is simple advice not easily employed when you are sick and struggling. I have been told that I am impatient. I agree, I want to get a diagnosis and treatment.

I am a fighter. I am strong. I am persistent. Scott wants me to add that I can be a nag, but I disagree. I suppose this is the topic for another blog. In the meantime, I will continue to drink gallons of water, try not to faint, and comply with the medical tests. And yes, Scott, I will nag the doctors until I find a diagnosis. It is an unfortunate reality that the quickest results often result when the individual follows up and stays on top of lab results.

Okay, I suppose I am being a nag. But I predict that my approach works, and that I will receive a diagnosis and treatment soon. In the meantime, I will continue referring to my undiagnosed illness as "booya booya syndrome." Somehow, giving something a name makes it less scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment