About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Houston Bound...

I am headed to Houston for a few days because I have been asked by the prosthetic company to discuss my experiences with my Proprio ankle. I love meeting new people, especially amputees, and discussing my experiences.

I was thrilled when I was invited to the symposium. The idea of escaping my day to day life and traveling to a new city is alluring. Going away, even for only a day or two, refreshes my outlook on life. I am reminded that I have more to offer the world than changing diapers and cooking and cleaning.

I am more than a wife and mother. Although I cherish those roles, I feel empowered by stretching other cerebral muscles. It is refreshing to be reminded that I have a plethora of skills and insights to offer the world that don't involve care taking. I enjoy, if only for a night or two, going out to eat and not having to entertain a toddler. I won't have to cut anybody else's food, and I won't have anybody pounding at the bathroom door, screaming "MomMom." So yes, I am excited.

Robby will be staying with my Mom. He and his Nana are comfortable together and they have their own routine. Sometimes that involves ice cream for breakfast or oatmeal for dinner, but he is always having a good time and happy. I know that he will cry when I leave, but that the tears will end as soon as the car is out of his sight. It is heartbreaking to leave him, but knowing that he is on a "Nana Vacation" and is having fun makes it easier.

It is always difficult for me to leave my family, if only for a few days. This time the departure is particularly painful because of my nephew's accident. Although he is home, my heart is drawing me to him. I don't want to travel so far away, probably out of fear that something could go wrong.

I know that Jake is recuperating comfortably at home. I want to do something to help but, and I don't like to admit it, my assistance is not really needed. There is nothing I can do. I spoke with my sister, and she urged me to continue with my plans.

Putting my concerns about traveling away from my family aside, I am preparing for an adventure. I have never been to Houston. Although I will be in a hotel meeting room for most of the trip, the lure of visiting a new destination is exciting. Besides, I'll have a four hour block of time all to myself on the airplane, allowing me the opportunity to read something more sophisticated than The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

No comments:

Post a Comment