About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Amputee Airport Travel

I just wanted to write a quick note to inform my fellow amputees about a new step implemented by TSA in "major" airports.

Since my amputation I have learned that extra time is always required for me to maneuver through the security obstacles. Sometimes I breeze through security with little delay. More often than not, I encounter a delay usually because an employee is unfamiliar with the procedures concerning amputees.

I was traveling with my family during the past week. We arrived to the airport with ample time to get through security. If we had been running late, I am certain that the newest security procedure would have caused me to miss my plane.

In addition to all of the usual screening procedures (the wand, pat down and explosives test) I was directed to a machine located in the corner of the check point area. Apparently, at many major airports amputees are now having their prosthetics x-rayed. I had a total of six pictures taken (one on each side, one on the top of the foot and one on the bottom of the foot). The x-rays allow the screeners to see through the prosthetic to look for contraband materials.

I don't have an issue with the x-rays. I realize that, in today's fearful world, it is better to be cautious. However, the implementation of this technology certainly does require time. If you are an amputee and are traveling through a major airport (I encountered the machine at the Baltimore airport but not at the Columbus airport) be sure to leave plenty of time to clear security!

2 comments:

  1. Honestly Peggy, six xrays? Doesn't it seem like that many xrays could be dangerous for one's health? I think I am going to have to look into this before I go to FL this winter. Just sounds insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, six. I thought it was excessive as well! I'm afraid that, with the way security screenings are going, it is only going to become more time consuming and "invasive." Despite the hassle, I can understand why they need to examine the prosthetic. I was assured that the x-rays were safe. I did inquire about x-raying pregnant amputees. The screeners began to scatter, looking for more manuals. I let them know that I was merely curious, not pregnant. It is an interesting scenerio though...

    ReplyDelete