About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Froggy Love

The past few days has been too cold to play outside with Robby, and despite his new toys, he has become bored. As often the case with a bored toddler, he has focused his energy towards destruction.

In an effort to save my sanity and to give the time out corner a reprieve, I packed up little Robby Rotten and headed to a movie. Since he received frogs from Santa, I thought the perfect way to pass an afternoon was to see the movie A Princess and the Frog. The prospect of not having to reprimand my little tornado of terror was motivation enough for me to bundle him up and head to the "Movie Cafe."

The Movie Cafe is an ingenious set up that must have been invented by a Mom. Instead of traditional seating, the theater is filled with round tables and lounge chairs. They have a small menu and the food is brought to you.

It is the ideal location when taking a toddler to a movie. Robby is afforded a little more movement than in a traditional theater seat. When he becomes bored he occupies himself by eating fries or popcorn. We always choose a table towards the back, providing us extra room should Robby need to roam.

I also appreciate the extra room. I am provided ample space to stretch out my legs and, should it be necessary, I can remove my prosthetic. Since we sit in a discrete location, I often pop off the prosthetic and prop up my legs during the movie. One drawback to being an amputee is that being seated for long periods with limited leg room often leaves me cramping and uncomfortable within my socket. After all, it is a rarity for me to be able to relax in a dark room and when I can, I certainly don't want to deal with cramps!

Robby was well-behaved during the movie. He danced in his seat during the songs and insisted that we clap when the characters were done singing. He could not have been cuter. What a nice change from the Robby of only a few short hours ago who was running naked through the house wrapping the furniture in toilet paper.

He seemed attentive during the movie, but I am never sure how much he is understanding or absorbing. He seemed most amused by the bug that flew up a man's nose in the film, a scene which he talked about incessantly on the drive home. Typical boy I suppose.

After we got home Robby began to play quietly in his room while I worked on dinner. I checked on him to make sure he wasn't getting into trouble. After all, Robby Rotten is always lurking around the corner. I am glad that I had my camera handy so that I could capture the scene.

Apparently Robby did understand more of the movie than I assumed. I caught him trying to kiss his new frogs. When I asked him why, he told me that he was "ascared that they were people and needed a Robby kiss." That statement made the frustrations of the morning evaporate.

I smiled as I thought about my little boy, kissing frogs at such a young age. After all, I didn't start kissing frogs until I was in my teens! Kids grow up so quickly these days.

I assured him that his frogs were indeed frogs and not people. Frogs that are really people can sing and often wear hats. His frogs can only swim. Satisfied, he moved on to play with his trains.

I was proud of my quick thinking. I know that he won't always be so easily convinced, so I am going to enjoy his trust while I have it. I only wish I could somehow convince him that it is more fun to clean than to make a mess. Then I could apply for "Mommy of the Year."

No comments:

Post a Comment