About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Try and Try Again.

I was raised by a mother who taught me, through her example, that it is imperative to be self-reliant. Repairmen are expensive and should be called as a last resort. Nobody would describe me as particularly handy, but I am resourceful and determined.

During the past 48 hours, I have focused my energies on repairing our broken septic system. I knew that the chances of resolving the problem myself were slim, but I was determined to try. My arms are sore from plunging, and my hands are blistered from snaking. My Livestrong sweatshirt and my favorite lounge pants were ruined when my "great idea" resulted in the septic volcano spewing poop from the end cap.

My attempts to fix our septic issues have been in vain. Hours of research have yielded no viable solutions. Robby is becoming bored with cartoons and needs attention. I am officially waving the white flag. We called the septic man.

Tired and dirty from my day as pseudo septic repairwoman, I was looking forward to relaxing in a long bubble bath. Then I remembered that bathing was not an option because of the backed-up septic system. Miserable, deflated, and tired, I was forced to settle for a sponge bath and a lot of Purell.

Feeling less than refreshed and reeking of hand sanitizer, I climbed into bed, hoping my dreams would take me anywhere that didn't involve poop! I settled down, ready to relax and eager to watch American Idol. I pulled off my liner and discovered it filled with blood.

Blood is never a good thing, especially on my stump.

I located a small pin-size hole on the incision of my residual limb. The tip of a stitch was beginning to poke through the opening. A stitch, designed to dissolve, was working its way to the surface of my skin. I had been forced to contort myself into unusual positions in my attempts to fix our plumbing. I suspect that my twisting caused the stitch to surface.

I have been dealing with the problem of so-called dissoluble stitches surfacing for several years, but this is the first instance that it has happened on my stump. It is not unusual for stitches to surface within the incision on my thigh. Every few months I notice a red blister bump, followed by the edge of a stitch. I typically clip the stitch with sterilized fingernail clippers, and it causes no problems.

This has been the first time a stitch has surfaced on my stump. I clipped the stitch and covered the area with antibiotic cream. I hesitate to put a lot of pressure on my stump because I don't want it to become infected, so I am trying to keep my leg off as much as possible. My limb is sore to touch and the suction within my socket is painful. I am not having a good leg day!

The last time I tried to fix our plumbing issues, I ended up on IV antibiotics for a week. Apparently, you need to wear gloves when using a plumber’s snake. (I certainly didn't make that mistake again.) This time I ended up with a bloody and painful stump.

I am starting to realize that plumbing is not one of my talents. Thankfully, my stump will heal in a day or two, and our septic system has been professionally repaired. All of my snaking and plunging could not have moved the plastic dinosaur blocking the pipe. According to Robby, he wanted to "swim" in the potty.

I am retiring my plumber’s snake and admitting defeat. I plan on following a rule developed by a friend of mine. Plumbing jobs can be attempted as long as they involve only clean water. When poop is involved, it is always best to call the professional. However, I do think I deserve credit for trying.

1 comment: