About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 06, 2010

I Hate Math!

It has been brought to my attention that 5K is actually 3.1 miles. This is considerably longer than the 2.1 miles I was expecting to run on June 5. Nevertheless, I have made a commitment and I plan to see it through, even if that means I leave my lungs trailing behind me as I huff and puff my way along.

My new activity/ running leg is being made as I type, and I will pick it up on Thursday. I am so excited. I'm hoping that the mounted Mod III foot/ ankle will provide me with the extra spring I need to complete the race. Of course, perhaps depending upon my prosthetic to see me through the race may be faulty logic; perhaps I should start training.

I needed to plot out my training course. Back roads are a must as I don't want to distract any drivers with my humorous running style! Yes, the sight of me running on the road could lead be a driver distraction, so I am best kept out of sight. I am opting for a course through the streets in my development. After all, my neighbors are accustomed to seeing me humiliate myself, so I won't be a distraction if they are driving by.

I strapped Robby into his booster seat, reset the odometer and took off to plan my route. I was amazed at how slowly the odometer turned even though it seemed like I was driving quite a distance! Convinced that the odometer was incorrect, I reset it and measured the course again on my way home. To my disappointment, my odometer does not have a mechanical malfunction. Wow, 3.2 miles is longer than I thought!

Tomorrow I will start my training. I would start today if I had a proper running prosthetic. Surely injuring my limb by running on an improper device would set my training behind. Does that sound like procrastination?

I know that I am not going to run the entire route tomorrow. I am hoping to run a mile, and walk the remainder. I am running towards a goal, which will help. Not only do I want to prove to myself and to my family and friends that I can do this, but also I want to raise money for a worthy cause. I know that I can do this!

The training will be hard, and I know that I will want to give up. I am not a quitter, but I may need an extra boost of motivation towards the closing mile of my run. I often respond best to instant gratification. That is the reason that, at the end of my strategically planned training route, I end up at the 7-11. When I want to quit, the lure of the Slurpee may be just the extra motivation I need to keep me running!

No comments:

Post a Comment