About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lights, Camera...

After several days of frantically scurrying around to get the house and yard in order, Wednesday is upon me. In retrospect I am glad that I was provided with little notice to prepare for the interview. I've been so busy getting the house and yard prepared that I haven't had the time to become anxious. That is, until now.

I am flattered that the National Geographic producers want to interview me for their documentary, but the pessimist that lingers deep inside wonders if I really have anything to contribute. I am fully aware that I am "only" a below knee amputee. On the severity scale, I am on the lowest rung. There are hoards of people, many of whom have become friends, who deal with obstacles and issues far greater than mine.

This morning I find myself apprehensive. Saying that I am nervous would not be an apt description. Rather, I find myself struggling with feelings of self-doubt. I worry that I will somehow fail to communicate my story effectively and that I will botch relaying the amputee experience and perspective. I don't want to embarrass myself, but, more importantly, I do not want to disappoint anybody.

Regardless of how I feel, the commitment has been made and the camera crew will be arriving in a few short hours. The house is clean, the yard is presentable and my hair has been freshly dyed. Everything seems to be ready, except of course for me.

I'll put on my best "game face" for the camera and hope to speak cohesive thoughts. I'm scared, but hoping for the best. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment