About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bone Spur/ Bursa Strikes Again

Perhaps it would be prudent for physicians to issue a prescription for antibiotics for parents whenever one is written for their children. Robby began feeling better at precisely the same moment I began to feel ill. Gone is the time when he wants to snuggle in bed and be still. He apparently has a lot to do--until his illness catches up with him and he crashes.

Soon after Robby was born I learned an important lesson of Motherhood. Unlike father's, mommies are not afforded the luxury of not feeling well. I must have a high fever, accompanied by vomiting, night sweats and some level of delirium in order to be deemed sick enough to stay in bed. Anything less is classified as not feeling well. This simply means that it takes me longer to do everything around the house.

I am not sure if it is a coincidence, but my bone spur/ bursa has started to become more bothersome during the past few days. I suspect that I am run down and not compensating within my socket to keep the lump from rubbing. It has become natural for me to push back in my socket to avoid putting pressure on the sore spot. When I'm not feeling well, every movement, including those within my socket, become more laborious. I guess I'm just becoming lazy as I walk in my DayQuil induced daze.

I am reminded that I need to call my surgeon and schedule an appointment. I've been dealing with the bone spur/ bursa for nearly a year. Although I have learned to compensate for it, moments like this motivate me to have it removed completely.

Unfortunately, removing the lump means surgery, and I hate having revision surgeries. I'm not afraid of the pain of the actual surgery; I've certainly had enough experience dealing with that! No, I dread being without my leg.

I have had two revision surgeries since Robby was born. I encountered difficulties caring for him after both procedures and had to elicit help from family and friends. I'm hoping that now that he is older, mobile and able to listen (not that he always does) being without my leg will be easier. Of course, it is nearly impossible to schedule a time that is convenient for Mom to be without her leg.

Robby, although he is feeling better, is still not well. He needs to stay quiet and has been content playing with cars and cleaning my floors with a small dust pan and broom (I don't stop his efforts). I'm just as happy to stay home because I know that keeping my leg off is the best course of action. I figure that my floors will be swept completely clean by the time I'm feeling better and able to walk without pain, so right now I'm not complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment