About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Play

Unlike much of the East Coast, we have not had a lot of snow this winter. Robby has been lamenting that he hasn't been able to go sledding and his new shovel has barely gotten a workout. Yesterday the weatherman's predictions became a reality and the fluffy white flakes began to fall.

As soon as we had enough snow to cover the grass, Robby began pleading to go outside and play. Putting dinner on hold, I dressed him in his snowpants, coat, boots, hat and gloves. As soon as he was bundled up he informed me that he had to "pee pee."

I began to remove the layers when Robby had a "great idea." He began to beg for me to go outside to pee in the snow. He explained that Mr. Bill told him that "peeing in the snow is a good way to practice my letters for kindergarten." Although I don't understand the novelty, I am beginning to accept that boys simply like urinating outside. I let him practice his letters.

Once he was re-zipped and his gloves were put back onto his hands, we headed out to tackle the snow. As we played outside for about an hour, the flakes were falling so fast that it was difficult to see. The sun was setting and it was beginning to get dark. I finally lured my frozen little boy into the house with the promise that we would play again tomorrow.

The snow continued to fall throughout the afternoon and into the night. By the time the flakes stopped falling, we received about 11 inches. Scott's school called off early so he didn't have to worry about getting up for work. Robby went to sleep anticipating Daddy's snow day and playing for hours outside.

I used to think that an undisturbed and freshly fallen snow on the trees in our woods was the prettiest sight in the winter. Looking outside, I realized I was wrong. My yard is covered with foot prints. Sled paths have been carved into the snow on every hill. A small army of snow angels has been made up and down the driveway. The remnants of Robby's letter writing are still visible. From where I'm sitting, my yard is absolutely beautiful!

Wish me luck as I try to keep up with Robby in the snow. I may even try sledding, which I haven't done in years. Of course, the roads haven't yet been cleared so taking me to the hospital should my natural grace rear its head again could be tricky. Maybe I'll just stick with building a snowman!

No comments:

Post a Comment