About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Smile Cards

Like all children, Robby loves getting mail. Everyday we take our pilgrimage to the mailbox in order to see if he received any letters. He really doesn't care what he gets to open; I've learned that junk mail can be exciting if he is the one who gets to tear into the envelopes.

A few weeks ago, in an effort to provide Robby with more mail to open, I spent the evening signing up for samples, newsletters and various information packets. In retrospect, submitting our name and address was perhaps not my wisest move. Every day our mailbox has been stuffed with catalogs, special offers and odd samples. We are receiving so much mail that I now have to take a tote bag when we walk to the mailbox!

Mixed among the useless solicitations has been a few postal gems. For example, we received 10 "smile cards." These cute little business cards are supposed to be left anonymously after completing a random act of kindness. I thought that distributing these cards would be a fun project so I decided to hang onto them.

I sat Robby down and discussed the "smile cards." I explained the game, and asked him what he wanted to do for somebody. After pausing for a moment, he decided that he wanted to bake cookies for the neighbors. (I was not surprised by this decision; in fact, the butter was already on my counter.)

We baked cookies, packaged them and tucked a smile card into each treat bag. Robby was adorable as he tip-toed up to each door holding his surprise. Since the good deed was supposed to be anonymous, he simply left the cookies by the door and ran away at lightening speed. He spent the rest of the afternoon looking out our window to see when his treat bag would be discovered by Mr. Bill.

None of our neighbors said anything about the cookies although I have little doubt that they know that they were baked by Robby. I actually forgot about the gesture until a few days ago when my doorbell unexpectedly rang. I opened the door to see a Contractor standing next to Mr. Bill, holding a "smile card."

I learned that Mr. Bill had hired the contractor to install a grab bar in my shower. This minor home improvement has been on my to do list for years. I simply never got around to making the call. I remember asking Mr. Bill if it would be a difficult project to tackle by myself. Knowing my home improvement talents, he recommended that I call a professional. I suppose that some of my procrastination could be attributed to not wanting to admit that I really needed the assistance.

Robby, upon seeing Mr. Bill and a "Tool Man" immediately grabbed his toolbox and showed the crew to my bathroom--my dirty, not ready for company private bathroom. I tried to get there first so that I could pick my bra off the floor before they started. I was too slow.

I offered payment, but I knew that it would be refused. Mr. Bill simply told me that it was a not-so-anonymous thank you for all the cookies, cakes and dinners we've given to him. He did accept a glitter happy face and heart magnet as a thank you from Robby.

Despite my embarrassment caused by the clutter in my bathroom, I am delighted with my new shower grab bar. I feel safe and I no longer worry that the bar will become dislodged from the wall (I was using a temporary suction cup bar). I should have had one properly installed years ago!

Robby and I could not have asked for a better neighbor than Mr. Bill. His thoughtful gesture means the world to me. I do, however, have one small problem. I have another "smile card" that I need to give to somebody new. I have no doubt that Robby will think of something and, knowing my little baker, it will involve cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment