About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Whirlwind

The past 48 hours have been a whirlwind. Yesterday I packed up Robby and drove to Pennsylvania to be with my family. When I wasn't at the hospital, I was chasing around my sister's little cherubs (and Robby), trying to keep them from creating total destruction on my mom's house.

I've been in constant motion since my sister's stroke. I suppose that keeping busy is good- I certainly feel more useful when I am able to contribute. It has been two days, but I'm only now feeling the gravity of the situation.

My sister was sleeping when I arrived at the hospital. I was thankful for the quiet time in her room so that I could gather my thoughts before she woke. I was nervous about what to expect. I've known my sister to be a certain way for my entire life and, in an instant, she was different. I am embarrassed to admit it, but I was scared.

Although Sheri's speech has been affected, I was pleased with the clarity. I expected it to be much worse. She sounds like she is intoxicated as she tries to formulate her thoughts and her words.

Her right side has been greatly affected by the stroke, but her sense of humor remains intact. When I asked her if she could isolate her fingers on her right hand, she simply looked at me and smiled (with half her face). She slowly yet deliberately responded, "Like this?" She then flipped me the bird with her left hand. Although her body is impaired right now, she is clearly intact. I've never been so happy to be flipped off in my life!

The doctors suspect that the stoke is the result of a blood clot deep in her brain. We don't know the reason nor do we have a clear prognosis. It is clear that she is going to require a lot of rehabilitation and that a long path to recovery lies ahead.

We certainly never anticipated this journey, but I suspect that nobody ever has "survive a stroke" on their life to-do list. Sheri is strong and I know that she will do her best to regain her skills. Although I know that she will be okay, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I feel heartbroken and worried.

I typically don't post on the weekend, but I will provide updates in the coming days. Tiffany (my niece) will be coming home with me to Virginia for awhile, and the two younger boys will be staying with my Mom. I want to thank everybody for their prayers and support. It has helped me to know that so many people care about what my family is experiencing right now.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to post to this and other's on here and fb but it hasn't been posting through my phone :0( I just wanted to let you know that I have been praying and worring right along with you--but I know all will end well cause she's YOUR sister and your superwoman so she is to :0)

    My son's prosthetic guy had the same type of stroke last Christmas and he is in his 30's with 2 little ones. He was out of work for about 5 months. He had rehab right away and P.T. for about a year. I am happy to report that as of now he seems back to normal to me :0) His one side wouldn't work at first either but now he is walking normal and seems to have almost all the power back in his arm on that side. I think it will be work for her but then again she sounds like she is getting better faster then my prosthetic guy :0)

    Also you are the best Aunt, from what you posted on fb earlier (another post my phone wouldn't send to) I think you did what every mom learn's to do, use what you have! If your leg get's him to listen then you did great! Just be careful, he might see you do something amazing with your prosthetic and then think that might be cool lol--when Travis was in pre-school and up till about 2nd grade the teacher's were always saying most little boy's wanted a cool robot leg like his... Keep your sanity and rely on TV, movies and ANY tricks to keep up with 3 lil guys--remember your Super Peggy!!!

    ReplyDelete