About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Completely Normal

It occurred to me yesterday that certain phrases are uttered in my home that are not commonplace in other families. For instance, I doubt that other children are instructed to "bring back Momom's leg right now" or that they are told to "put the screwdriver down and stop playing prosthetist." Those phrases roll off my tongue so naturally that I don't think twice about saying them!

Robby, of course, is unaware that references to a prosthetic leg are out of the ordinary. When we are at the grocery store he'll ask me if I have my running leg on so that we can race to the milk. Playing soccer at the park, he will remind me to kick with my "other leg so that the fake one doesn't fly through the air again." Typical to his pattern, Robby is oblivious to the second looks that we garner after he utters those unusual words.

Yesterday I was shopping at Target with Robby. Our quick little shopping trip was going on 45 minutes, with the first 30 devoted to "just looking" at the CARS toys. I was hurrying through the aisles, trying to get home to start dinner when Robby jumped in front of the cart.

"Momom, STOP!" Not only did I stop, but the three shoppers around us halted as well. Everybody stood still and all eyes were on Robby. After what seemed like five minutes but was, in reality, probably only 10 seconds, my little crossing guard spoke.

"Everybody, just stay calm. There is no need to panic, everything is going to be just fine. Nobody move even one teeny tiny step. There is a stink bug right there (he points to the tile floor about two feet away)." He then gingerly stepped towards me and reached for my hand. He led me to the stink bug, and then faced his audience. "Don't worry. Momom is going to stomp on the stink bug with her running leg. It won't hurt at all because it is made out of material. It is not bones. See?" (He then proceeds to lift up my pant leg to show my prosthetic.)

Instinctively I stomped on the odoriferous little pest with my prosthetic. As I turned toward my cart I noticed the small gathering of uncomfortable witnesses. Apparently they were not accustomed to having a prosthetic offered up as a bug exterminator.

No comments:

Post a Comment