About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wimp or Introvert?

Yesterday I kissed my little boy good-bye, pulled my suitcase out of the trunk of my Mom's car and watched them drive away. Robby was upset and I am fairly confident that we both had tears in our eyes. I am going to be gone until Saturday night which is the longest I have ever been separated from him.

I later learned that his tears were fleeting and he smiled a giddy grin for the remainder of the day. My Mom took him to Bass Pro, a huge sporting goods store, where she bought him a real fishing pole in his favorite color--yellow. So much for missing his "best buddy!"

The sun was shining and the weather was warm when I arrived. I checked into the hotel at 2:00, and I immediately noticed the gorgeous pool area. The perfect place to soak up the sun and get a little exercise. Unfortunately, I left my swimsuit and water leg at home. Bummer!

Being in Orlando, I realize that I am surrounded by world famous attractions. Disney and its affiliate resorts, Sea World and a plethora of other fun destinations surround me. I had hours to explore and have fun.

The problem is that I don't enjoy doing "touristy" things by myself. I wish I could write about my afternoon adventures. The truth is, I pulled the black-out curtains and took a nap. I did enjoy the nap though!

I have concluded that I am either an introvert or simply a wimp. I become anxious when I am in new areas by myself. This is partly because I am an amputee woman; I feel more vulnerable. I know that I a female tourist with one leg is an easier mark. I detest feeling vulnerable, so I retreat to the safety of my hotel room.

My staying within the confines of my hotel has become a joke in my family. I don't bother to check the weather forecast before my trip because I'll never leave the hotel. I think I am leaning more towards the "wimp" label.

Today I have to work a session in the morning, but I won't be needed again until the evening. I will have the afternoon off. I am not doing any of the tourist destinations (they are both cost prohibitive and not fun solo) but I do vow to leave my hotel.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do or where I was going to go, but last night I found my answer. I was unpacking my suitcase when I discovered that I had apparently forgotten to pack underwear. On a five day trip, the lack of underwear could become an issue. I have even more motivation to get up the gumption to leave the boundaries of this hotel. Let the great underwear quest begin!

2 comments:

  1. lol well you are in a major shopping area. You should try downtown Disney, it's a shopping type area--there is also old town which is more shopping :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people sight-see with another person, not solo. Smile. I suspect you are right in sync with the majority of people. Things are always more fun with a companion. Enjoy your solitude because you won't have the chance for quite a while again. Re-charge your batteries.

    ReplyDelete