About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, April 08, 2011

My Super Duper Good News Week... (not to brag)

This week is closing on a high note. The weather has been beautiful and, despite occasional rain showers, Robby and I have been busy playing and working outside. Although the air is still chilly, the sunshine feels wonderful!

In September I was asked to participate in a documentary produced by the National Geographic Channel. The film crew came to my house, and I spent the day answering questions about being an amputee. Most of the inquiries revolved around my experiences with phantom limb pain. Although I do not have a chronic problem with the pain, I do have flare-ups which range from being a nuisance to being completely debilitating.

On Monday, I learned that the show is complete and is ready to air. Set your DVR's (or VCR's) for the National Geographic Channel on Tuesday, April 26 at 10:00 P.M. The show is part of the Explorer series and has been titled "The Angel Effect." (Truthfully, I'm still a little confused about how phantom limb pain fits into the piece but I know that some of my footage made the cut.) Incidentally, a preview clip from the show that features me can be found on the "In the News" link on the top of this blog.

Tuesday I received an email in reference to a Discovery Channel television show. The producers of a new series called "Health Heroes" inquired about my willingness to participate in the show. Of course I said yes! Robby and I are traveling to Philadelphia in the middle of May to be interviewed and filmed. I don't know many details other than we are going to be included in the program, and I will keep everyone posted.

On Wednesday, with my head still spinning from the excitement over the Discovery Channel show, I opened my email and received a wonderful surprise. Robby and I have been invited to travel to Tampa, Florida. The Challenged Athletes Foundation, partnered with Ossur, are presenting a running workshop. I have been invited to be the speaker at the event.

I am honored by the invitation, although the pessimist in me doubts the appropriateness of my being chosen. I am certainly not an athlete and wonder if anything I have to say could be perceived as "motivational." Trying to push my fears aside, I'm excited about the opportunity. Ironically, my speech will be delivered on what I have designated as "Strut Your Stuff Day." I guess there is no better way for me to demonstrate confidence than to stand in front of hundreds of people, prosthetic fully exposed, wearing running shorts!

Robby is over-the-moon excited about going on the trip with me. I found him this morning in front of my kitchen pantry, Diego suitcase in hand, filling it with snacks for "the big work trip to Florida." I am staying an extra day so that Robby and I can visit the aquarium and absorb as much of the Florida sunshine as possible. Keep your fingers crossed that Scott can get off work so that he can come!

I feel overwhelmed by all of the good news I've received this week. I haven't felt this optimistic, happy and excited about my future in a long time. I don't know when all of this will end, but I am going to make sure to enjoy every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment