About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Had I Known...

If I could change one decision made after my amputation, I would choose to go to physical therapy. I did inquire about therapy after my amputation but was quickly denied by my insurance adjustor with the explanation of "bk's don't need PT." I accepted this determination probably because I was emotionally and physically exhausted from the amputation, and I wasn't inclined to fight.

Although I had no problems using my prosthetic the first time I slipped into my socket, it took me years to work out the nuances of my gait deviations. I now realize that a trained physical therapist could have saved me years of trial and error as I tried to self-correct my issues.

Whenever asked, I always encourage a new amputee to attend physical therapy. I now know that walking with a prosthetic is not as easy as putting one foot in front of the other. I wish that somebody had encouraged me to attend PT, but I simply didn't know that the benefits were worth the battle.

During the past few years I have been fortunate enough to work with some amazing physical therapists because of my affiliation with Ossur. I have been an amputee for over eight years, yet I learn something new about the way I walk every time I work at a conference or training session. Next week I will be attending the AOPA Conference in Las Vegas. I can't wait to discover what tidbit I will learn this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment