About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

CNN Article

Several weeks ago I was approached by a reporter for CNN who was writing an article on prosthetics, specifically socket art, and wanted to understand my perspective. I was thrilled about the chance to participate and the opportunity to tell my story.

Amputees have a limited voice in our society, and I strive to make the most of every opportunity to portray those with limb loss in a positive light. I always try to remember myself as I was preparing for my amputation before I begin answering an interview. Unsure about what to expect, I scoured the internet for information about amputees who were living happy and productive lives. Every story I saw, regardless of how mundane, gave me hope. If my participating and sharing my stories helps just one person who is struggling and afraid, I'm willing to deal with my jittery nerves that always accompany an interview. (Of course Scott might disagree slightly as I'm told repeatedly that I become grumpy and irritable before each event or interview.)

I realize that I am my own worst critic, always quick to point out my mistakes or flaws, I have a difficult time watching myself on video or reading my quotes in articles so I often second guess my word choice to the point of becoming quasi-neurotic. When the link to the article arrived in my inbox a few days ago, my heart began to beat quickly as I prepared for the worst.

I was expecting to feel embarrassed or unsuccessful--my two most prominent reactions to reading my quotes. I was surprised when I finished reading the article and felt nothing but happiness and pride. It is rare for me to acknowledge, but I really like this piece and my contribution to the topic. I wanted to share the article with all of you. I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment